Thursday 6 January 2011

Time for the Man Diet....

N502570910_6198_5218


So, yes, it’s that time of year...

If you are like me, you sit down just after Christmas and think about the resolutions you should be making. Whether it's to read more books, watch more movies, try and finish those little creative projects that have been untouched since January 2009. There is always something.

For me, instead of making resolutions that I know I will break, I'm trying do something a bit different.

After spending most of the Christmas period eating, drinking and generally being merry, we get to January, look in the mirror and notice the toll that the season has taken on us. Or you see Britain's Fattest Man on Channel 4 and vow never to turn out that way.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-fattest-man/4od

Some people head to the wardrobe, dust off those trainers and head to their nearest gym, others might head a good book store and grab a book on the latest fad diet.

I did think about joining the gym, I mean, I have been looking into it for nearly a year now, but I knew that I would end up not going. My housemate is trying to get me to go out running again, but I haven’t done that since the 10k in the summer and it’s far to cold at the moment (but I am very supportive of those people who are training for a marathon). I thought about trying a diet, but I like food too much and to be honest I can’t afford to be spending all my heard earned cash in Wholefoods. I also thought about not drinking for January, I seem to know a lot of people who are trying this and I applaud the people who are...but for me, it all seemed a little drastic.

I heard that it's not always about taking drastic measures to make changes. Making little changes to your life style can make all the difference...so welcome to the “Man Diet”...

I have to say, it's not an original title, I was inspired by one of my work mates who talked about his experience last year...

So here are the little things that I am going to do, to make a difference...

1. Stop snacking in between meals...unless it's fruit.
I work in an office where there is always cake or sweets on the table...sometimes they are heard to resit.

2. Only drink Vodka, Lime and Soda and keep red wine drinking to a minimum.
I'm not a massive beer drinker at heart, but I've been finding recently that drinking larger on a night out often makes me feel bloated and gives me the 2nd worst hangover ever... (1st worst hangover is from Prosecco). I did move onto vodka and coke when out and the hangovers disappeared but then my tongue tasted as though I have just eaten a bag of sugar. I'm not a fan of diet drinks, so this was the next best option.

3. Cut down on the fizzy drinks.
I do love a can of coke with lunch and as I said above, I'm not a fan of diet drinks, so the only alternative is water or fruit drinks with meals and stop buying bottles of coke from the local shop!

4. Walk up stairs and stop taking the lift.
My office is on the second floor and I’ve got into the bad habit of taking the lift out of laziness.

Hopefully this might shift some of the Christmas podge or I might go back to looking like I did in the picture above, when I was 21 - without the fringe of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment