Wednesday 24 April 2013

Thunder what? Oh... Thunderball


I’m going to be very frank from the start and say that this was not one of my favourite Bond films. After the amazing Goldfinger, I was left feeling a bit down after watching this. To me, it felt like a really, really rushed film with an excessive use of swipe cuts trying to bring the story together (my inner Media Studies student is coming out!). It was also all about the never ending fight scenes. The last scene with the scuba fight is great for the time, but it goes on and on and on....

One of my favourite moments of this film was right at the beginning when James Bond dons a Jet Pack and flies out of trouble. I mean, A BLOODY JET PACK. Another good point of this film is the fact that Sean Connery spends most of this film jumping in and out of water in a pair of blue swimming trunks. But all this jumping in and out of the water is very reminiscent of From Russia with Love and that whole section in the train carriage.

The Bond charm from the first three films has also crossed the fine line from charming to harassment. The scene in the health spa when he forces the nurse in charge of him to sleep with him made me cringe really. This is not Bond, he can charm a women, but he would never force them to bed him.

So all in all, I really didn’t like this Bond, one of the only saving graces was the great soundtrack provided by the one and only Tom Jones! Let’s hope that You Only Live Twice brings things back on track.

I give this film 5/10

Am I wrong, did I miss something? What did you think? Please add your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment