Friday 19 April 2013

#FridayPop - Geri Halliwell

Friday is my favourite day of the week. Firstly this is because it’s the last day of the working week. Secondly it means that the next episode of Doctor Who is only one night away. Lastly it’s because I get to play my #FridayPop playlist!

After watching lots of The Big Reunion, I was inspired to make a playlist featuring some of my favorite songs from the pop stars of the later 90’s and early 00’s. I had a lot of fun going on an adventure through spotify and reminding myself some great artists that took the UK Charts by storm. It’s amazing what you can find...

If you want to join me on a Friday, take a look at the playlist here:
http://

Think I’ve missed a track? Tell me in the comments below or add them to this Spotify playlist - Your #FridayPop . If I like them, I will add them.

Anyway, each week on the blog, I thought I would remind you of some great pop hits from some of the greatest pop stars of my teens. I’m going to kick things off with the one and only Geri Halliwell.

Geri left the Spice Girls in 1998, just after the phenomenon that was Spice World the Movie and before the girls released “Viva Forever” from the Spice World album. It was a sad time in British pop and the news took the world by storm.

But the sadness didn’t last for long as Geri returned to our radios in 1999 with the lead single from her debut solo album Schizophonic, “Look At Me”. The pop hit made us fall in love our favourite ginger again. Remember the video? Take a look here:



I’ve been a huge fan of the Brit Awards for many years now. For me, one of the most memorable moments of my teenage years was when Geri performed ”Bag It Up” at the ceremony in 2000 and  emerged from a giant pair of inflatable legs. Remember it?



If you start singing “Bag It Up” in your office, I swear you could get a sing-a-long started in just a few moments. One day I might try and see if it works on the tube!

These two songs along with our favourite Spanish classic “Mi Chico Latino” appear on the #FridayPop playlist. Even though there were some other great pop songs from Geri on her two following albums Scream If You Wanna Go Faster and Passion, these are my three favourite tracks.

Most of my friends have given me a very judgmental look when I mention how much I have been listening to these tracks again. They really get stuck in your head and I often find myself humming them or trying not to start dancing around my flat. I just have to be careful that I don’t start singing them on the tube. Geri, even for her weird and wonderful ways will always hold a special place in my pop heart. These are definitely some songs that I will be playing to my future nieces and nephews! God help them!

What do you think? Is your office now singing "Bag It Up"? Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment