Thursday 24 February 2011

What happened to fun?

The other evening while I sat there waiting for Never Let Me Go to start (review coming soon) the trailer for Sucker Punch came on. The girl next to me told her friends that it looked rubbish...but I sat back and thought, wow this looks good!


A film about a group of girls trying to escape from their reality buy living in this dream world, battling dragons and soldiers with massive guns and skimpy outfits, what is there not to love about it?

Which got me to thinking. How depressing the last couple of months have been in movie land?

Ok, ok before you start. The Kings Speech was amazing, I cried and laughed, but still it was a serious film. True Grit had a great story and acting, but it was still hard going. Chatting to friends and reading reviews revealed that Black Swan is another scary and depressing piece. Never Let Me Go made me feel quite emtpy inside!

I know there has been a few films that have tired to lighten the mood, but with little success. I mean, I really didn't want to (and thank god I didn't have to) sit through The Dilemma and I didn't get around to seeing Morning Glory, which might have lifted the mood.

I mean, This is one of the darkest points of the year. Most of us who haven't been able to escape the grey and cold UK are suffering from S.A.D. And I know we are in awards season, with the Golden Globes, BAFTA's and the Oscars praising some truly great masterpieces, can we not have some fun please?

After seeing the trailer for Bad Teacher today, I saw that there was light at the end of this tunnel. This film is going to amazing, with Cameron Diaz back to her best since The Sweetest Thing, I think.
Also, more than The Hangover 2, I'm really looking forward to Bridesmaids, which could be amazing.

With this in mind, I'm thinking, "roll on Spring and Summer!" Bring us some films to make us laugh! It's time for the fun times (and films) to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment