Tuesday 28 May 2013

James Bond review - Diamonds are shiny


There might be a few spoilers in this review... you have been warned.

After the disappointment of On Her Majesty’s Secret Service and finding out that Diamonds are Forever marks the return of Sean Connery, I had high expectations for this film.

Unfortunately I was left disappointed.

The 70’s had started to hit Sean Connery in this film. With his longer hair, bushy eyebrows and more relaxed dress sense, Sean had definitely lost his sparkle. Even when he seduces a woman, it still feels like he is not really there. Maybe he should have finished off his run with You Only Live Twice.

Even the Bond girl didn’t save this film. I can’t even remember her name so I’m not even going to mention her. On the other hand, Miss Moneypenny was back on form and who could forget the name of “Plenty O’Toole” the saucy mare.

The only saving grace for this film were the villains. Even though Blofeld has been used alot in the last few Bonds, each actor has played the roll slightly differently. Charles Gray has to be my favourite Blofeld. He is interesting and a little bit crazy, but not too weird, even when he is dressed as a women.

I would have loved to see more of Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd. Their double act saves the film in so many ways and I was more interested to see how they were involved in the story. Unfortunately you never really find out.

As you can tell, I really didn’t enjoy this Bond. It was great to see Sean Connery back, but I think it’s time for next chapter.

I give this film 3/10

What did you think? Let me know in the comments below.


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment