Thursday 22 July 2010

Welcome to the Family...

342

For me, this move to London means a lot. The past couple of years had bee quite an emotional roller coaster. I came out, had my first love, started my first proper job (that I ended up hating), lived in a city where I felt like the loneliest person in the world. It was a hard time for me, I had spent years at university surrounded by friends an feeling quite ‘safe’ and suddenly my life was the complete opposite of what I had expected it to be. For the first time in a while I completely missed my home, I missed my parents, I missed my brother and sister, I missed my old school friends. This from a person who had gone to the other side of the country to go to university and swore that they would never move back home to the area that I grew up in....but I did.

I’ve always been a very social person, I have friends from different groups dotting around the place. We dip into to each others lives for drinks and dinner but part ways for months or years, always returning to see each other feeling like nothing had changed.These people I love and care about a lot.

But a little while ago, something really touched me. My housemates returned from holiday and gave me a little present (pictured). As they handed it to me that day they said “Welcome to the family”, just a simple few words that mean a lot and yes, they did make me cry. This little gesture touched me in so many ways. After a period of feeling alone and spending time settling into a new place and making new friends, these words made me feel settled and secure.

I’m very privileged to have two great housemates, even though we have only lived together for a couple of months, I know that I have friends for life. They welcomed me with open arms when I moved in and have introduced me to some of there great and amazing friends who have adopted me into their little family too. Like any house we have our disagreements and you learn each others bad habits, but then you remember the fun times, the great meals and the drunkard/random evenings that made you giggle.

Good friends are hard to come by, but when you fined them, boy are they worth keeping and always remember the little moments that touch you.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely blog. Sometimes you think life is going one way when it turns direction. What a difference a year/two can make. n I'm glad you feel more connected to people. I hope we'll see you up in Newbury more too - it was great to go out & I hope we can repeat it!

    ReplyDelete